Monday, October 31, 2011
Anyway, I wanted to enter Patternreviews Think Pink contest http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/contestreport.pl?ContestID=146ContestID=146 so I trawled the pages of Ottobre Woman magazine and decided on this tunic top
This is such a change from my usual style of top. It's meant to fill a gap while losing weight as it's drawn in with a self fabric belt/sash, and can easily be altered later if need be.
The fabric is also somewhat of a disappointment. I've had this fabric since 1991 - a fabric purchase made in Hong Kong and originally purchased as silk. I have my doubts as to the whether it is actually silk, however, it did sew up nicely and it does look good on the mannequin, or the actual body ....... blah!
I'll give it a couple of wearings and see. There's always Vinnies.
Friday, September 9, 2011
Thursday, August 4, 2011
All good intentions of sewing up a storm went flying out the window - I'd forgotten how exhausting 10 hour workdays can be.
I had cut 3 tops at the beginning of the month to enter the "One Pattern Many Looks" on Patternreview. The idea of the contest is to come up with different looks by using different fabrics, trims or combinations of fabric, while using the same pattern. Last post I mentioned I was using one of Ottobre's pattern (1/5/2010),
Here are my finished tops.
The first top is made from an Oriental inspired print in a rayon/lycra knit with a contrast yoke in an off-white contton/lycra rib knit. To finish the look, a removable, simple fabric rose made from a scrap of leftover main fabric. The neckline is bound in the main fabric.
Three tops, finished and in time for the contest finish date ....PHEW!
Sunday, July 3, 2011
How will I cope? Simple, I'll enter the One Pattern Many Looks competition on Patternreview . I figure I'll need a way to relax and what better way than with some sewing.
I plan to use this top pattern from Ottobre magazine.
The photo looks a little drab, but the line drawings shows it has great potential. The fabrics have been chosen - all knits. Firstly, a marled blue cotton lycra, next a poly/lycra in hot pink with a printed mesh over lay and finally an asian inspired print in a rayon/lycra. I have some embellishments in mind, but think I will see how the finished items "speak"to me.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Have to say I hardly ever go to the movies, and when I do, as the houselights go down so do my eyelids!! It's gotten to the point where DH doesn't even ask anymore if I'd like to see anything. So when I say I stayed awake all movie, you'll get the idea this movie rates highly in my eyes.
See for yourself.
What did you think?
Thursday, June 23, 2011
I'd spied a friend's draped front vest a couple of weeks ago and when she offered it up to copy, I jumped at the chance. Using a Kwik Sew pattern (2759 cardigan) front and back as a base for the vest then tracing and measuring the original collar, I was quite pleased to come up with this creation ...
The fabric is a gorgeous rayon lycra with a lovely soft hand. This was all that was left over from a t-shirt which I made in April. I really wish I'd bought more ... ah! hindsight, it's a wonderful thing.
Given the success of this foray into copying RTW, I took a dive into the vast stash to see what other suitable fabric might be hiding in the back (I'm sure you know what I mean). Would you believe I found this black burnout velvateen - who knows how long thats been lurking, unloved and unused. This time there was a little more fabric, so rather than just make the vest, I decided to add sleeves. This was a good move as there was absolutely nothing but minute scraps left after cutting the pattern. I can see this being a very useful item this winter.
Ignoring the crappy picture, this next top was another top finished over the weekend. I was given this lovely fabric from a wonderful sewing friend. I'm not sure of the content, but certainly has some lycra, and is absolutely a dream to wear. This is KS 3658 which I have made several times before, but this is the first with long sleeves (note to self to make more of these for winter as the neck finish is nice and cosy).
Last on the sewing list was to finish this jacket that I had cut out two weeks ago. It is such a very simple jacket to make, I don't know why I took so long to get it finished. It's another Kwik Sew pattern - 3334.
I have to say, I really do find Kwik Sew patterns live up to their name.
Looking back, last weekend was quite productive sewingwise.